Students may not carry unauthorized substances, including over-the-counter analgesics.

It is the intent of the Prince William County Public Schools (PWCS) to assist parents/guardians when they are unable to come to school to administer medication by giving needed medication to the student so that the student may maintain school attendance.

Every effort should be made by the parent/guardian for the student to receive needed medication outside of the school day.  Prescription or over-the-counter drugs, pain relievers, cough medicine, inhalants, etc., shall be administered to students by parent/guardians outside of school hours except in unusual circumstances.

The first or adjusted dose of medication shall be administered at home by the parent/guardian.  The first or adjusted dose will not be given at school.

All students and parents are reminded of the following:
School personnel cannot administer any medication until a form, signed by the parent is on file in the clinic.  All prescription medication must also have a physician's signature on the PWCS medication form before a prescription medication can be administered.  All medication, prescription and over-the-counter (i.e., Tylenol, Advil, etc.) brought to school must be in the original sealed container and kept in the clinic.  It should be in small amounts as storage space is limited.

Students may keep in their possession certain medications, such as prescription inhalers and Epi-pens as warranted with a Health Treatment Plan on file signed by the physician.

Under no other circumstances will students be permitted to carry medication without the direct written physician's order and agreement of the school nurse or an administrator.

Regulation 757-4 - Management of Medication Administration in the School Setting

Authorization for Medication Administration - Attachment I of Regulation 757-4 (PDF)

Autorización para administración de medicamentos (PDF)

Medication Permission Form for Extended Day/Overnight Field Trips - Attachment II of Regulation 757-4 (PDF)